Sunday, January 2, 2011

CarFax report my A$$ !!

So my wife and I decided to buy another car and add it to the fleet.  Since I am a smart ass and I always preach the phrase “the most expensive period in a car’s lifetime is the first 10,000 miles” and “I will never buy a new car in my life, that’s for the stupid” so of course I convinced my wife that we need to buy another used car. I did my research and went through all of the area’s online car dealership lots which took weeks. Finally we decided on a loaded very beautiful coupe with a very low mileage, the price was also great and the dealer is very reputable my friends.
 We got so excited that we left early from work to buy the car before anybody else gets to it.  The car was beautiful and what made it even better is the very assuring well-advertised CARFAX report that the sales person presented to us. It was as clean as a whistle. We anxiously started doing the paper work before even test driving it.  Why would you want to test it? You saw the CARFAX report. When we headed outside we saw a pretty decent dent in the door. The salesmen told us it must have happened while we were inside and because we already shook his hand before the damage happened we honored our word and continued with the deal and they said they will fix it by the next day. Tomorrow became a week and the salesman who was a friendly angel stopped answering his phones. When we paid him a visit he swore he never said it was going to take a day only, As a matter of fact, he never heard of a one day paint job. Ok, after all the headache we happily took the car home.
After a couple of days I noticed something wrong with the door and I contacted a friend of mine who happens to be an ex-car salesman/ car fanatic, he inspected it and discovered that the car went through a major body and paint work.  We went back the next day to the dealership or I should say dealershit and fought with them for hours. At first they didn’t want to return the piece of shit saying that CARFAX is not a reliable source and most of the accidents people don’t report and when they do it could take up to a year for an accident to reach CARFAX.    So all the talk about the almighty CARFAX had gone with the wind and while they were trashing CARFAX’s credibility the commercial kept playing in my mind (Show me the CARFAX) giving me mixed feelings of old trust and new betrayal. At the end they accepted to take it back if we get a new car from them. And so we did. The process took us almost 8 hours and it was one of the longest shittiest days of our lives.  
What I learned from this experience is:
1.       Do not trust any product even if it was initially created to make you feel secure like CAR-FREAKIN-FAX and remember, whenever you hear the commercial “show me the carfax” don’t hesitate to show them the finger because that’s what they’re talking about. Did I say I named my middle finger CarFax

2.       The reason behind fine print being so fine is not the lack of space
3.        Never ever trust any car salesman; their first sale is selling their soul to the devil.

4.       When life wants you to have a new car.. you will.
And now let me go and enjoy my new ride, will ya??

4 comments:

  1. So it's someone else's fault because you failed to inspect the car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much cheaper and better option to check the history of your vehicle.
    instavin report

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Just want to add information, I guess this coupon help if you buy a used car. They gave me all report I need. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been using VINaudit because of that reason ,too. In Vinaudit, I never paid $40 for just a single report. I actually got ten reports and only cost me $2.5 each using this coupon of discounted prices http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon.

    @Mark, the coupon works, thanks!

    ReplyDelete